Sexwax Dream Cream Top Coat formulas were designed to afford maximum stickiness and traction when used in conjuntion with a Sexwax Quick Humps Basecoat. Dream Cream Gold is primarily used in X-Cold and Cold water – it is radically soft and sticky to the extreme. Dream Cream Silver is primarily used in Cold and Cool water – it has significantly elevated levels of both softness and stickiness. Dream Cream Bronze is primarily used in Cool and Warm water – it is has moderatly elevated levels of softness and stickiness. For futher tips on selecting the appropriate Dream Cream Topcoat and Quick Humps Basecoat
Sex Wax Silver: Cold to Warm – Indecently sticky
Sex Wax has satisfied thousands of surfers and the best pros in the world every day for over 30 years! It’s quite simply the best wax on the market, enough said!
- Secret Mr Zogs Formula
- A firm yet sticky grade of wax, arguably the best all round formula available
- Cold to Warm water
- 7°C to 22°C
USING QUICK HUMPS FOR SINGLE WAX APPLICATIONS
- The recommended temperature range for a Single Wax Application is printed on the front of each Quick Humps label.
- Each Quick Humps label has its own “X-NUMBER” which indicates the relative hardness and stickiness of the six different formulas. The “1X” formula is the softest and stickiest Quick Humps Formula and the “6X” formula is the hardest and least sticky formula.
- When recommended temperatures for two or more Quick Humps formulas overlap, use the “X-NUMBERS” to determine your preference.
CHOOSING A BASECOAT/TOPCOAT COMBINATION
- Use Quick Humps as a basecoat with a Dream Cream or Quick Humps topcoat for increased levels of both stickiness and stability
- Using a harder wax for your basecoat will take more effort but your basecoat will be more effective and last longer.
- If increasing temperatures will soon be realized due to seasonal change or travel then make sure your basecoat is hard enough for the warmest conditions that will be encountered
SINGLE WAX OR BASECOAT/TOPCOAT?
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HARD & SOFT WAX?
Softer waxes will be:
- Easier to apply
- More likely to move or rub away at pressure points on your board
Harder waxes will be:
- Less sticky
- Somewhat more difficult to apply
- More likely to stay in place and not rub off
WHAT SHOULD A GOOD SURF WAX PROVIDE?
- Moderate to high levels of stickiness
- Stability Underfoot
WHAT IS A SINGLE WAX APPLICATION?
- A Single Wax Application is where only one formula of wax is used at a time.
WHAT ARE THE SHORTCOMINGS OF A SINGLE WAX APPLICATION?
- Increased Stickiness requires a softer wax which in turn will reduce Stability Under Foot.
SHOULD I CONTINUE USING JUST A SINGLE WAX APPLICATION?
- If Single Wax levels of stickiness and stability are adequate for your needs then there is no reason for you to switch to Basecoat/Topcoat combinations.
WHEN SHOULD I USE A BASECOAT/TOPCOAT COMBINATION?
- When you want to increase the stickiness you get with your single wax application without sacrificing stability.
HOW DO BASECOAT & TOPCOAT COMBINATIONS WORK?
- A harder Basecoat formula provides Stability Under Foot with a long lasting surface texture that can hold the softer Topcoat wax in place and prevent it from moving or rubbing away at strategic points on the deck of your surfboard.
Once you have a firm Basecoat, your Topcoat wax can be much softer and stickier than anything you could use without a Basecoat.
WHAT ARE THE RULES FOR BASECOAT/TOPCOAT COMBINATIONS?
- A Basecoat must be sufficiently hard to remain stable at the current water temperature.
You can use anything you want as a Topcoat wax as long as it is softer than your Basecoat wax.
In the early 1970’s, Zog was shaping boards and running a small surf shop in Goleta, California. As fate would have, a chemist named Nate Skinner worked in a building next to Zog’s shop. Zog and Nate got to talking and decided that with Nate’s scientific training and Zog’s surfing background, they were the perfect pair to develop a unique, high-performance surfboard wax.
Over the course of the next year, Nate created and modified various wax prototypes, which Zog tested and evaluated under actual surfing conditions. Eventually they arrived at a formula that met their specifications.
When the first batch of Sex Wax was ready for market, Zog loaded up his Ford pickup truck and hit the road on a sales run. For the next few days, he stopped at every surf shop he could find from Santa Cruz to San Diego, trying to interest owners in purchasing a case of wax. At first, many retailers were reluctant to stock a new wax with a “suggestive” label and no track record. A few, however, were intrigued by the catchy name and decided to give it a try.
Slowly, by word of mouth, praise for the new wax spread up and down the California coast, and demand for the product grew steadily. Convenience stores and surf shops that had originally declined to carry Sex Wax, now called and asked to be included on the list of businesses Zog visited on his monthly sales runs. Soon, surfers from the East Coast, Gulf States, Hawaii and Japan wanted stores and shops in their areas to stock Zog’s wax, and within a few short years, Sex Wax reached a world-wide market.